Friday, January 13, 2006

UnLearning Church

I just got through with Mike Slaughter's book UnLearning Church and it was as to be expected being from Mike Slaughter just great. Mike is the "Chief Dreamer" from Ginghamsburg church in Tipp City, Ohio. I recommend the book. Here are some quotes I thought were especially good.

"Peter did the impossible because he responded to the voice of Jesus instead of listening to the storms and the fears of others. Peter did not begin to experience problems until he began to pay attention to the raging water through his physical eyes." p. 25

"My wife and best friend, Carolyn, often reminds me that if God could speak through Balaam's ass (see Numbers 22:28-35), God can also speak through me." p. 27

"Christianity is anything but nice. It is extreme. There are no middles. Everywhere these people went, either revolutions or riots occurred. It was radical." p. 75

"Don't spend your life on something so small that you accomplish it out of your "can do"- and that you do it without God." p. 132

"Does your image or identity come from what you have? from what you do? or from Christ who you follow?" p. 189

No comments: