Thursday, September 24, 2009

What are you reading?

I have said many a time along with others that you can tell where a person's heart and passion are by taking a look at two things: their checkbook and their day planner (calendar). Where we spend our money and where we spend our time says a lot about us.

I might add a third item to that list. On what do you and I spend our time reading? On what you and I spend our time reading says a lot about us. If you are a follower of Jesus whether or not you read the Bible on a regular basis says something about you? The kinds of books you read on a regular basis says something about you- are they fiction or non-fiction, only fiction or only non-fiction, are they books related to your career or books about your hobby? Do you spend your time reading the sports section or Glamour or your favorite blogger? What we choose to spend time reading says something about us. The greater question is, just like when it comes to our checkbook and day planner, is whether or not what we read honors God?

For example, apart from the Bible and devotional reading I mostly read non-fiction books about church planting, church growth, evangelism, leadership and finance. I almost never read non-fiction.

One might say in light of this I am too serious or need to lighten up blah, blah, blah. The point is some statements could be made about me in light of my reading list. I focus not so much on what a friggin dork I am for reading mostly non-fiction books to focusing on what my choice of reading says about my passion. On the one hand I am glad that my passion is how to better help people experience the love of Christ and cooperate with God's action in the world to grow the Kingdom of God. I am glad I have an interest in handling God's resources and helping others to do so in the area of finances. But what about the missing stuff? What about reading about being a better dad, a better husband, a better friend? Hmm. What does this say or not say?

What does what you read or not read say about you? I wonder...what are you reading? (besides this!)

No comments: