Monday, March 23, 2009

Lost Watch

Recently I lost my watch. Actually I think Nolan took it and hid it. He is a "clepto" like that these days at 18 months. Anywho, I hate losing my watch. I hate going through the day looking down at my wrist and then remembering "oh yeah I lost it." It is kind of frustrating. Most of us rely on our watch to keep us on track, to make sure we are not late, to remind us where we have spent too much time or too little time. I know for me, without my watch I am lost and wandering.

The same is true for me in a spiritual way. While I do not think we can lose Jesus (though we can certainly move away from him) there are times in the spiritual life when it seems like I am lost or wandering aimless. I lose my watch (not my lunch) when I do not spend time with God in prayer, scripture and devotion. I wander around when I rely on my own strength instead of his. I find myself frustrated when I trust in the things of this life for wisdom, satisfaction and help instead of trusting in God's grace. These things make me feel off track. I feel during these times lost and wandering. I feel in my walk with Christ like I do when I walk around three days without my watch because my son has become fascinated with it and hid it somewhere and can't tell me where.

I found my watch, just like I rediscover the vital relationship with Christ again for the 1,001st time. Tomorrow I want to share some ways I revitalize and reconnect and spiritually find my watch again. Maybe they will help you. Thus, stay tuned for more deep thought from "Jack Handy."

No comments: