Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Sharpening the Church's Welcoming Skills 2

Yesterday I talked about websites. Today I continue to talk about something that welcomes people even before the first note of music is sung in worship- SIGNS.

I am big believer in signs. I think a church should have directional signs guiding people to where you worship. At our church, we have about 15 yard signs we put out at area intersections each weekend guiding people. Some may say this overkill. It might be, but we would rather have overkill then someone not find us.

If you have one of those permanent signs in the ground like many UM churches do that you can buy and it is old and faded I say replace it or take it down. It is better to have no sign than a sign that is run down and faded and says "we do not care enough about you finding us so we have this old faded sign." Another drawback with these permanent signs is like any permanent sign they do not get noticed after a while.

When using yard signs make sure you don't try to fit too much info on them- your church name, location, time of worship and website (if you don't put the church's website on the sign don't even bother putting them out). If you try to put too much info on the signs it makes it really small and hard to see unless you are right on top of it. What a waste! Also, make sure you pick up your signs. Many counties, cities and towns have ordinances about signs. They won't bother you if you pick them up on a timely basis. Never leave them out past Sunday if you can help it.

Then there are signs at your site. We have about 15 signs right around the school where we worship. As someone drives up to your church is it clear where they are supposed to park? Do you have a sign telling them where to park. Again, this takes away one worry that first time guests have- where am I going to park. I suggest having some spots as close to the door of your church reserved for First Time Guests with signs at the entrance directing first time guests to that parking. (You can have all the First Time Guest Parking you want but if people do not know it is there will it ever get used?)

Once people are outside of their car the next worry is where do I go in? What entrance am I supposed to use? Therefore, it is necessary to have your main entrance clearly marked. We have a bunch of yard signs directing people from wherever they park and a big banner outside the main entrance. Leave no question for people about where they are supposed to enter.

Once inside your church I am asking where is the worship space, where do I drop off my children, and maybe where is the bathroom for little Johnny who said he had to pee really bad ten minutes ago and couldn't hold it any longer? Signage about these important things are crucial along with greeters to direct which I will cover later. Once I get to the Children's Sign In area are there other signs to direct me? Are there ore signs throughout the building letting me know where bathrooms are, where the refreshments are located, where I can get information about the church. Again, it is better to have too many signs than not enough.

Tomorrow, I will talk about the building as we welcoming agent. Until then, I am signing off.

No comments: