Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Dunkin' Donuts

Growing up in Massachusetts I grew up on Dunkin' Donuts. There was one on every street corner it seemed and they had the best coffee. When I became a Virginian I was disappointed at the lack of Dunkin' Donuts.

So, I am glad to see Dunkin' Donuts expanding. Check out this story from the Providence Journal about the chain's expansion efforts and how they are filling a niche in a market dominated by Starbucks and similar companies. I have long held that Dunkin' Donuts needed to market as the common man's coffee.

They're brilliant to adapt from free standing stores to combining Dunkin' Donuts and Baskin Robbins and to do so in Wal-Marts, gas stations and other places.

So, have your Starbucks (I sometimes do- house blend of course with room- none of those fancy girl drinks for me). I will stick to my Dunkin' Donuts.

Here are some lessons for the church from Dunkin' Donuts:
  • Find your niche and be you. Don't try to be another Starbucks.
  • Find out what you do well (regular coffee) and keep doing it- focus.
  • When a model no longer works (free standing stores) don't be afraid to try something new.
  • Be creative and innovative (put stores where no one thought stores could go).

No comments: