Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Spiritual Thuggery and Other Gems

In Outreach Magazine's 5th Annual Special Issue: America's Largest and Fastest Growing Churches there are a number of churches from the list that are highlighted. In reading through a couple of the articles I came across some great quotes I wanted to share.

In the article about Salem Baptist Church in Chicago one of the members highlighted from the church who was saved from an addiction to crack had this awesome thing to say about his pastor...

"My pastor is a spiritual thug, a mighty man. He knew how to show me my pain would be my purpose, and that my pain would be my promise. He would not let me go until I realized that." Wow!! We need some more spiritual thugs in the church!

And then in the article about Mariners Church there was this gem that shows why we put our hope in Jesus Christ and not in Republicans, Democrats, Democracies, Autocracies or any other -ocracy.

"I believe that churches have a better chance of breaking the cycle of poverty than government programs because, as mine and Darrell's experience shows, it's not about programs and artificial goal-making. It's about sharing the love of Christ and letting God work magic by having a friend in Christ."

No comments: