Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Wesley Covenant Prayer

This past Sunday in our worship celebration experience we prayed the Wesley Covenant Prayer together and gave each person their own personal copy to use in their own devotion time. What is known generally as the Wesley Covenant Prayer or A Covenant Prayer in the Wesleyan Tradition is a pietist prayer adapted by John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, for use in Watch Night dedication services. The prayer is often used, particularly by Methodists, to re-dedicate oneself to God. While the prayer is most often associated with the Watch Night worship ushering in the new year, the prayer also serves as a daily reminder of who we are and whose we are. A friend of mine gave me a framed version of the prayer that hangs in the New Season offices today. As you look at the words and really think about what they are saying they are some pretty powerful words. I invite you to make the prayer a part of your daily life and I invite you to join me and other Jesus journeyers as we always seek and struggle to live out the prayer in action and in our hearts.

The Prayer
I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed by thee or laid aside for thee, exalted for thee or brought low for thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, thou art mine, and I am thine.
So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth, let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.

No comments: