Sunday, December 14, 2008

Cantatas

Now is the time of the year when any churches are having their Christmas Cantatas. For those that do not know this is when the whole worship service on Sunday morning is taken up with the choir singing songs they have practiced for months that nobody knows except them. It is rousing to say the least. (wink,wink)

I do not particularly care for Christmas or Easter cantatas. In fact, in previous churches if I was not the minister I would have skipped that Sunday. The only good thing about cantata Sundays is that I did not have to prepare a message! That is why it is interesting to me that as I perused the Saturday Religion Section of the Free Lance Star it was interesting to see the number of churches who had put an announcement about their cantatas in the calendar section. If I went to that church I would say "thanks for the warning" and stay home and watch Joel (no- not really- probably D. James Kennedy of Dr. Schuler).

I wonder what unchurched people think if they ever see such announcements? I doubt they ever do since they probably do not spend much time on the religion page. But if they did see what would they think? They might think what is a cantata? I certainly do not guess that a person who has never been or stopped going to church would jump and down and say "oh yippie XYZ Church is having their cantata, load up the kids, we are there."

To my friends in former churches please know my personal opinion and dislike for cantatas has nothing to do with you fine people or your beautiful singing. I recognize that many people love the cantata just as I love you and your signing very much. As for the cantata- God bless you.

Long live the cantata!

No comments: