Friday, December 07, 2007

Cold Snap

We have been having a pretty good cold snap here in Virginia. It reminds me of growing up in Massachusetts. Back then it seemed we did not have cold snaps but long drawn out cold spells. Is that proper weather lingo?

One of our favorite activities was ice-skating. Sometimes this happened on a cranberry bog after they flooded the bog to keep the plants from dying. The good thing about skating on the bog was if you feel in because the ice was not thick enough you only fell in up to your waist. When I was older we would visit a pond behind the apartment complex I lived in. It was a wonder we all didn't fall in and drown. We would step gingerly out onto the ice listening for cracking noises which indicated the ice was not thick enough.

It was during these cold spells later on when I was a teenager working at a sporting goods store that we would have tons of people come to get their skates sharpened so they could go skate. It was three dollars a pair to sharpen. Some days we all we would so is sharpen skates. By the end of the day we would have nose bleeds. I am sure that was good for us breathing in all that metal. I guess that is why we used to pocket the money. Yeah, I know that was before I followed Christ. I repent.

So, here is to toe numbing, booger freezing, stick your tongue to a lamppost kind of weather!

No comments: