Tuesday, November 06, 2007

The Spiritual Discipline of Cutting Grass

This may sound strange but I find cutting grass (and yard work in general) therapeutic and one way for me to communicate, experience and honor God!! This is how it has been for me for some time. I love to cut grass, trim hedges, cut brush, take a chain saw to some trees etc.

I think there are at least a few reasons I like it.
1. It gets me outside. So much of my time is spent indoors. I once heard it said that there is nothing that can be done inside that cannot be more fully enjoyed outdoors.
2. After doing some type of yard work I can sit back and admire it. In other words, what I have done for that hour or half-day is measurable. So much of ministry is not measurable.
3. It gives me time to think without being able to do anything else. Riding on the mower there is nothing else to do but process stuff, pray, and enjoy the outdoors.

For me, there is nothing like it. Some reading this will think I am nuts. That's OK. What is the activity for you that helps you accomplish these things?

No comments: